Oxenwood Centre stands in a remote corner of Wiltshire, 11 miles south-east of Marlborough at an altitude of about 180 metres above sea level. The land is Upper Chalk with evidence of the river alluvium and flints from the local fields have been incorporated into the houses in the village. Oxenwood itself was largely rebuilt between 1862-65, the size of the construction of the village prior to that period is not known but six roads meet at the present village green. At one time Oxenwood had Public Houses, a baker, a blacksmith, a shop and a sawyard. All these have now gone. There is a well near the centre of the village that is about 85 metres deep and was last used in the 1930's.
Oxenwood village was part of the Fosbury Estate. Estate workers originally occupied many of the houses, but most are now privately owned.
Nearby Villages Include
Great Bedwyn (3 miles north)
Great Bedwyn is now a quiet residential village along the Avon and Kennet Canal, but back in Saxon times it was a market town of importance. It has a fine church, St Mary's church built entirely of flint that dates back to the 11/12th century, with additions in the 15th century. Among its interesting brasses and furnishings is an impressive monument in memory of John Seymour, whose daughter Jane married Henry VIII. Great Bedwyn is also renowned since 1800's for the Lloyd family of tradition of stone carving, whose workshops are still in business. The museum displays statues, gravestones and memorials. The broken downlands and woods around Great Bedwyn, which were once part of the great Royal forest of Savernake, provide interesting walking.
Shalbourne (2 miles north)
Has two Tudor manor houses and Elizabethan cottage among its many attractive buildings. The mile dam was lately a watercress bed and now has been transformed into a reserve for wild fowl.
Ham (2 miles north east)
With its village green, thatched cottages, brick and flint houses also has a manor and the church of All Saints. The church was modernised in the 18th Century and has a collection of Georgian tombs and monuments. A great yew tree of considerable circumference dominates the churchyard.
Fosbury (1 mile south)
A small hamlet with flint cottages and a flint church built in 1854-6, in the Dec style and a vicarage of flint and red brick built also in 1854-6.
Fosbury Camp (3/4 mile south)
An Iron Age hill fort of 26 acres with an entrance on the east and probable occupation remains within. An extensive area of "celtic" fields to the south and west on the slopes of Hippenscombe.
Tidcombe (1 mile west)
A small hamlet below Tidcombe Down around which the Roman road from Mildenhall to Winchester climbs and curves to Chute Causway avoiding the deep valley of Hippenscombe. Here are spectacular views with earthworks, barrows and tumuli.